วันจันทร์ที่ 8 กันยายน พ.ศ. 2551

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

Author: Nicholas Sparks
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
ISBN: 0446698334
Dewey Decimal Number: 813.54


Book Description

#1 New York Times bestseller Nicholas Sparks turns his unrivaled talents to a new tale about love found and lost, and the choices we hope we'll never have to make.

Travis Parker has everything a man could want: a good job, loyal friends, even a waterfront home in small-town North Carolina. In full pursuit of the good life - boating, swimming , and regular barbecues with his good-natured buddies -- he holds the vague conviction that a serious relationship with a woman would only cramp his style. That is, until Gabby Holland moves in next door. Spanning the eventful years of young love, marriage and family, THE CHOICE ultimately confronts us with the most heartwrenching question of all: how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?

Review

Having read True Believer and Message in a Bottle and watched the film version of The Notebook, it is safe to say that I have become a big fan of Nicholas Sparks. He writes the sort of tear-jerking love stories I love, and he writes them with a great deal of passion, creating wonderful characters that feel real. The Choice is his newest effort, and my favorite from the ones I've read so far. The story sort of reminds me of The Notebook, which is definitely not a bad thing, but more on that later. At thirty-two, Travis Parker is a confirmed bachelor. All three of his best friends are married with kids, and their wives have fixed him up with every single woman they encounter, no matter how much he wished they wouldn't. Why would he want to get married? He has it all -- a great job, a full life and a beautiful house in a small town in North Carolina with a gorgeous river view. Nothing is missing in his life, or so he thinks until Gabby Holland moves in next door. The beautiful redhead, though standoffish and downright rude at first, intrigues him from the very beginning, and he doesn't let a small detail like a boyfriend stand in the way of getting to know her better. I don't want to tell too much (though I'm certain that many reviewers have done so already), but this seemingly simple (at first) love story is heart wrenching and memorable...

And the aforementioned qualities make this novel not only a must-read but also an absolute keeper. The Choice is a gorgeous read, perfect for this holiday season (not a holiday-themed book though). The four-hour train ride from Manchester to London was a breeze because I couldn't put this book down. Travis faces a difficult choice, and those crucial chapters pulled me at the heartstrings, making me want to know what would happen next. I am glad the book ended the way it did. My breath caught in my chest as I read the epilogue. I loved it. The love story is wonderful and Travis and Gabby will remind many people of Noah and Allie from The Notebook. A friend of mine who has read both books said that reading this book was like getting reacquainted with those old characters again. Sparks loves his native North Carolina. His passion for the place shines through in the writing. I love the way he describes the surroundings. At times, I felt I was there, feeling the breeze stir in the air as I gazed at the ocean along with the main characters. The Choice is a fine read and I cannot recommend it enough. I look forward to reading Sparks's backlist.

Buy it from Amazon.com

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: